Patagonia Women's Island Hemp Pants - Regular
Made of a 55% hemp/45% organic cotton fabric with a linen-like drape, these pants feature hidden security pockets.
- Hemp/cotton blend is lightweight and has a soft, textured surface
- Wide waistband with two-coconut-button closure, adjustable cotton tape drawcord and belt loops
- Front slash pockets are sewn down with a beautiful double-needle stitch detail
- Hidden coin pocket in right-front pocket
- Beautifully detailed rear patch pockets; right-rear pocket features a hidden envelope-style pocket
- Available in three inseam lengths: 30", 32" and 34"
- 4-oz 55% hemp/45% organic cotton plain weave
- 264 g (9.3 oz)
- Made in Sri Lanka.
In 1996, with an increased awareness of the dangers of pesticide use and synthetic fertilizers in growing conventional cotton, we began the exclusive use of organically grown cotton in all of our cotton products.
The quality of organic cotton is equal to or better than conventionally grown cotton, yet organically grown methods support biodiversity and healthy ecosystems, improve the quality of soil and often use less water. Growing organically takes more time, requires more knowledge and skill, and, for now, costs more. But it’s worth it.
To ensure we are buying cotton that is organic as defined by the USDA’s National Organic Program, we require numerous certificates issued by an accredited third-party certification body for every step of the supply chain, from farm to factories.
Hemp is an alternative natural fiber that’s cultivated with low impact on the environment. It requires no irrigation, uses no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers, and is harvested and processed by hand. It’s one of the most durable natural fibers on the planet, and results in a fabric with a wonderful drape, comparable to linen.
Unfortunately, industrial hemp is illegal to grow in most parts of the world because government agencies continue to associate it with marijuana. We currently import our high-quality hemp from China, and continue to hope that it might someday grow freely again.
Patagonia makes garments with hemp alone or blended with other fibers like recycled polyester, organic cotton and spandex.