North Shore, HI
“Surfing big waves keeps me grounded,” Kohl says. As one of the leading players in the revival of paddle-in surfing in giant conditions, he spends much of his time tracking swells and testing new board designs. When it’s flat, he’s pretty grounded as well, installing solar energy systems and tending his off-the-grid farm on the North Shore of O’ahu.
- First place in the 2010 Nelscott Reef Big Wave World Tour paddle event
- Second place overall in the Nelscott Reef Big Wave World Tour, 2010/2011 season
- First and fourth place finishes at the Punta de Lobos Big Wave Invitational in Chile
- Surfed in the 2008/9 Eddie Aikau big wave event and has been invited back every season since
- 2010/11 nominee for Surfline’s Performance of the Year