Patagonia Men's Back Step Shirt
Airy, everyday shirt made of lightweight hemp/organic cotton fabric for cool-wearing comfort in hot weather.
- Made of a soft, breathable 55% hemp/45% organic cotton blend for warm-weather comfort
- Buttons made of coconuts on the front placket and button-through chest pockets
- The shoulder seams are positioned forward, not over the shoulder, for greater comfort under pack straps and shoulder bags
- Chest pockets secure with buttons
- A subtle shirttail hem keeps your shirt in place during movement and side vents provide greater range of motion
- 204 g (7.2 oz)
4-oz 55% hemp/45% organic cotton plain weave
Hemp is an alternative natural fiber that’s cultivated with low impact on the environment. It requires no irrigation or synthetic fertilizers, and is harvested and processed by hand. It’s one of the most durable natural fibers on the planet, and results in a fabric with a wonderful drape, comparable to linen.
Unfortunately, industrial hemp is illegal to grow in most parts of the world because government agencies continue to associate it with marijuana. We currently import our high-quality hemp from China, and continue to hope that it might someday grow freely again.
Patagonia makes garments with hemp alone or blended with other fibers like recycled polyester, organic cotton and spandex.
In 1996, with an increased awareness of the dangers of pesticide use and synthetic fertilizers in growing conventional cotton, we began the exclusive use of organically grown cotton in all of our cotton products.
The quality of organic cotton is equal to or better than conventionally grown cotton, yet organically grown methods support biodiversity and healthy ecosystems, improve the quality of soil and often use less water. Growing organically takes more time, requires more knowledge and skill, and, for now, costs more. But it’s worth it.
To ensure we are buying cotton that is organic as defined by the USDA’s National Organic Program, we require numerous certificates issued by an accredited third-party certification body for every step of the supply chain, from farm to factories.